Paha Wakan (Sacred Mountain) Build on the Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation
Texas Natural Builders will be building a timber framed cordwood home called Paha Wakan (The Sacred Mountain), originally designed by Kelly Hart and modified by TNB, on the Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation in South Dakota starting June 1, 2014-August 31, 2014.
This is a great opportunity to showcase several different natural building methods in one incredible home.
The Materials will be:
- Straw Bale
- Timber Frame
- Wattle and Daub
- Stone Work
We will also be building some smaller out building such as a summer kitchen and so on, this is kn the beautiful Wounded Knee district of Pine Ridge, very close the the Wounded Knee Memorial and the incredible Limestone hills!!
- Each volunteer must sign a waiver of responsibility, meaning while in Pine Ridge and on the worksite you are responsible for yourself.
- Camping equipment or camper (blankets, air mattress/padding)
- Clothes for the duration both work clothes and leisure clothes (June temps vary but shorts and cooler clothing will be needed)
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste etc.)
- Work boots or shoes you don't mind getting dirty
- Work gloves
Food will be provided but if you have health requirements or desire simple comfort foods then please make arraingments to bring those items with you, there is a grocer on the rez if you wish to purchase food items there.
- Weapons, Guns Etc..